|“||Damn them... damn them. Damn them all... to Hell!||”|
|Continuity||Planet of the Apes - Reimagined|
|First Appearance||Planet of the Apes (2001)|
|Last Appearance||Planet of the Apes (2001)|
Zaius was the aging father of ape military commander, General Thade.
An important leader of Derkein, possibly a senator, he was also a direct descendant of Semos, founder of ape society and god of the apes. Of all the apes in the community, he was the only one who knew the truth concerning the Forbidden Area known as Calima. Zaius despised humans and blamed them for the downfall of society. As a reminder of humanity’s destructive nature he kept one of their weapons – a handgun – inside an ancestral urn held within his household. He knew the trouble that Leo's arrival could bring. Despite their differences on human equality, he was good friends with fellow Senator Sandar. On his deathbed, Zaius consulted with Thade and revealed some of the hidden truths in regards to humanity having once been dominant on the planet. And as further proof, he asked his son to break the ancient urn, revealing the human weapon he had kept all those years and claiming it as proof of humanity's potential to overtake the apes with their capacity to innovate. Condemning all human beings "to Hell", Zaius passed away, leaving the handgun to Thade.
- "In a time before time, we were the slaves, and humans were the masters."
- (About the handgun, as it was being examined by Thade) "What you hold in your hand is the proof of their power. Their power of invention! Their power of technology! Against this, our strength means nothing! This has the power of a thousand spears!"
- This version of Zaius is exclusive to the continuity of the 2001 Tim Burton movie, Planet of the Apes. See "Zaius" for other versions of the Zaius character.
- "Thade's Father" is probably most notable for being the reappearance of Charlton Heston in an apes film. Heston is more widely known for his contributions to the first Ape movies, Planet of the Apes and Beneath the Planet of the Apes where he played the role of Colonel George Taylor. Zaius's last words are obvious references to Heston's Taylor's last lines in the original film.
- The character is never referred to as "Zaius" throughout the film. His name is listed in the movie's end credits and some fan-sites only.
- When filming this character's scene Tim Roth, actor for General Thade, admitted that he was "not comfortable" appearing opposite Charlton Heston for political reasons. At the time Charlton Heston was the president of the National Rifle Association while Roth opposed this. He went on to say "I come from the exact opposite end of the political spectrum. Burton had to persuade me to do it. Finally, I decided that it was okay because it's fiction". According to 
|Planet of the Apes - The Chronicles of Ashlar|
|Planet of the Apes TB|
|Planet of the Apes (2001)|
|Leo Davidson | Ari | Thade | Attar | Krull | Limbo | Daena|
|Grace Alexander | Aspasia | Bon | Leeta | | Thade's Niece | Tuug | Karl Vasich | Woman in Cart | Zaius | Sandar | Nado | Nova | Pericles | Semos | Birn | Gunnar | Karubi | Tival|
|Ashlar | Calima | Oberon | Derkein|
|Comics, Novels & Magazines|
|The Human War | Planet Of The Apes (2001) Graphic Novel | Planet of the Apes (2001) (Junior Novelisation) | Planet of the Apes (2001) Concept Art & Costume Tests|
|Planet of the Apes (2001 Soundtrack Album)|