Xirinius was one of the gorillas trying to recapture the escaped Taylor as he ran amok in the Ape City, using his net to trap him. He was also one of the apes tracking Taylor, under the command of Marcus, and was ordered by Zaius to silence Cornelius as the cave was being destroyed.
- Unusually, the name 'Xirinius' does not appear in either the movie or in any known script, though the final shooting script does describe at length the ape with the net as being 'a mounted cop' (the apes who finally take Taylor into custody identify themselves as 'security police'). The name may be an invention of Marvel Comics' writers.
- A character with same name later appeared in the Marvel-created story 'Kingdom on an Island of Apes'.
- Xirinius is exclusive to the continuity of the Planet of the Apes comic books published by Marvel Comics.
- Planet of the Apes Magazine: Planet of the Apes
- Adventures on the Planet of the Apes: Planet of the Apes