|Planet of the Apes|
|Air Date||Friday, November 22nd, 1974|
| Previous Episode: "The Interrogation"
Next Episode: "The Cure"
"The Tyrant" is the eleventh episode of Planet of the Apes.
- Mark Lenard as Urko
- Percy Rodrigues as Aboro
- Michael Conrad as Janor
- Joseph Ruskin as Daku
- James Daughton as Mikal
- Klair Bybee as Sam
- Arlen Stuart as Gola
- Gary Combs as gorilla driver
- Ron Stein as gorilla guard
- Tom Troupe as Augustus
- Tom McDonough as gorilla trooper
- Ron Troncotty as gorilla sergeant
- Eldon Burke as road guard
- [unknown] as Oscar
- Assistant Director ... Bill Derwin
- Music ... Lalo Schifrin
- Film Editor ... Clay Bartels
The fugitives are trying to foil the plans of corrupt gorilla official Aboro, who taxes humans brutally and is using bribery to get himself appointed as prefect over a district of human farmers. In a display of the political intrigue common amongst the apes, Galen masquerades as 'Octavio', Zaius' assistant, and tempts Aboro to try to take Urko's position. When Aboro seizes the opportunity and decides to go a step further and assassinate Urko, the fugitives are left with a serious ethical dilemma: be responsible in part for Urko's death, or take advantage of it for their own gain.
- The Tyrant, together with The Gladiators, was adapted as Planet of the Apes #4: Lord of the Apes by George Alec Effinger, and published by Award Books.
- This episode formed the second half of the third TV movie Treachery and Greed on the Planet of the Apes (paired with The Horse Race), originally broadcast in 1981.
- The eleventh episode to be broadcast (22 November in the USA, 22 December in the UK), this was the thirteenth episode filmed, chronologically, according to the Production Code.
- Planet of the Apes (TV Series) at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
- Planet of the Apes (TV Series) index at TV.com
- The Tyrant at Ralph Senensky's Cinema Trek
|Planet of the Apes TV Series|
|"Escape from Tomorrow"||"The Gladiators"||"The Trap"||"The Good Seeds"||"The Legacy"||"Tomorrow's Tide"||"The Surgeon"|
|"The Deception"||"The Horse Race"||"The Interrogation"||"The Tyrant"||"The Cure"||"The Liberator"||"Up Above the World So High"|