|“||We thought they would kill us all...But the Colonel stopped them! There was madness in his eyes! He said they would use us, before we died!||”|
— Spear's recollection of the tribe's capture to Caesar
As a child Spear earned his name from the way he used to fearlessly hurl himself through the air from branch to branch.
War for the Planet of the Apes: RevelationsEdit
After a ship called the Daedalus arrived from the North to go to war with the apes, Caesar ordered Rocket to send two scouts to find out where the ship and humans are going. Rocket initially suggested Grey but Caesar instead suggested Singe who took Spear with him. Spear later personally lead an attack on a group of humans to lead them away from the main group of apes. Spear succeeded in his mission and retreated back to Caesar's base. After a group of Koba loyalists kidnap the female and children apes as they fled, Spear reports that he overhear one of them say they were heading East. Spear eventually earned enough of Caesar's trust to get a seat on Caesar's council.
War for the Planet of the ApesEdit
Spear is shown at the beginning of the film, stationed at a wooden trench in Muir Woods Park. When the Alpha-Omega army attacks, they kill all the sentries, save for Spear, who flees to get reinforcements as the apes inside the trench did their best to hold off the humans while countless apes were slaughtered. Spear rides his horse while screeching at the top of his lungs for any apes to hear him. His cries were eventually heard as an army on horseback arrived as Spear howls and lead then to the fight. Spear signaled the reinforcement to shoot arrows while they threw smoke grenades at the soldiers. Spear lead the apes to victory and later stood guard over four human soldiers and their "donkey" Red they captured during the battle. Spear let Caesar through to talk with the prisoners. When Red started taunting Caesar with their eventually demise, Spear angrily shoved him to the ground before Caesar ordered him to stop.
Spear was present when the apes sounded an alarm of two horses with riders approaching their refuge home in a waterfall as Caesar and Maurice watch the wounded apes hold a funeral for the deceased 63 apes. The two riders were revealed to be Rocket and Caesar's firstborn son Blue Eyes, who have spent the past two years searching for a new home far from the humans. As Caesar leads Rocket and Blue Eyes into their refuge, Spear and Luca kept their flank to keep an eye out. Later in the day, he participated in the council to discuss the location of the tribe's new home, an oasis beyond a grand desert. When Caesar's wife and Blue Eyes are killed by the leader of the Alpha-Omega army, Colonel McCullough, Spear was present when Caesar left his youngest son in Lake's care while he embarks on a solo mission to hunt down the Colonel. As Maurice, Luca and Rocket followed Caesar, Spear took point for the tribe on their journey to the oasis.
During the journey, however, they are intercepted and captured by Alpha-Omega, forced into slavery and to build a wall in their base of operations, the Border. Spear, along with two chimp lieutenants, were beaten up and crucified out in the cold. Spear was the only one to last longer than the other two as Caesar finds them tied to X-shaped crosses and tribe imprisoned in a pin. He hears Spear moans and frees him, learning of their capture by McCullough's forces. He tells Caesar the apes are forced to work against their will before they died, and as Caesar asks what they're being forced to build, Spear succumbs to his wounds. Caesar attempts to wake him, asking him if Cornelius was in the Border as Red attacks him from behind.
More to come...
- Animal Strength: Like all chimpanzees, Spear was very powerful and strong.
- High-Level Intellect: Spear had been given the ALZ-113, through unknown methods, giving him increased intelligence.
- Sign Language: Taught by Caesar or Maurice, Spear knows American Sign Language. He used it as a way of communication. He used most frequently when with Caesar.
- Speech: Having been given the ALZ-113, through unknown methods, Spear had gained the ability of speech. He did not have any verbal lines of dialogue in War, so it was unknown how good his English was.
- Expert Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Due to him being a member of the Ape Army, Spear was a capable fighter, as he was seen wielding a spear.
- Expert Horse Rider: Spear was able to ride a horse with ease.
More to come...
- Behind the scenes look reveal Terry Notary as a stunt double for Alessandro Juliani.
- When Caesar, Luca, and Winter walk inside the trench to confront the soldiers, Spear is seen wearing a tooth earring of an unknown animal and has a small sharp bone on his nose, just like Lake.
- Spear's spear has white fur of some kind of animal tied to the tip. the tip itself is colored with dried blood.
- Spear's ear and nasal piercing and white paint are a reference to African tribal warriors.
More to come...
- See Spear/Gallery.