|“||I hope you don't come to regret sparing his life. He's quite a good shot.||”|
— Colonel McCullough stating Preacher's archery skills.
Preacher was a man who served as one of Colonel McCullough's Alpha-Omega soldiers.
War for the Planet of the ApesEdit
Preacher was among the soldiers of Alpha-Omega, working under Colonel McCullough during the Human-Ape War. Preacher was assigned to an assault at the ape fort in the Muir Woods, with guidance from McCullough's various "donkeys", including Red. When the apes, led by Caesar counter-attacked the Alpha-Omega assault by firing arrows at the soldiers, Preacher was among the four human survivors who avoided being hit. He reported to McCullough, sure that he was going to die before he was discovered by an ape. Before being captured, McCullough assigned him as his new right-hand, as his previous one was recently killed by an arrow. Preacher, Red and the three other human survivors were brought to Caesar, who spared him and the soldiers, giving them the chance to send a peace offering to McCullough. Caesar then had Preacher and the soldiers sent back to their base of operations on horseback at the Border.
Preacher was present at the Border (where Alpha-Omega captured the other apes) alongside McCullough and Red, and guarded Caesar from attacking McCullough with a crossbow although Caesar was not intimidated by him. Preacher seemed familiar with McCullough and seemed to be on good terms with him, explaining that while McCullough was monologuing about the evolution of the Simian Flu virus, Preacher stated that McCullough executed those who either carried the virus or those who rebelled against him. Preacher aided in torturing Caesar by ridding him of food and allowing him to slowly die of hypothermia.
After Caesar and the apes escaped from the Border prison, Preacher was the first to realise that they were missing. As the Northern Army arrived to wipe out Alpha-Omega, Preacher aided in the battle against them, not knowing that McCullough committed suicide due to carrying the virus himself and was devolving into a primitive state.
After locating Caesar with a belt full of grenades, Preacher arrived and shot Caesar with an arrow, downing him on the ground. Preacher prepared to finish off Caesar with a second arrow, but Red, who was watching from a distance after being told by a soldier to grab a grenade launcher, redeemed himself for Caesar by killing Preacher with the grenade launcher, leaving only Preacher's helmet from the explosion.
Post-mortem, Preacher was successful in his goal to kill Caesar, as he would later die of his wound from the arrow that Preacher shot into him; however, killing Caesar was ultimately in vain, because Caesar was staying alive long enough to destroy the wall and assured Maurice that the apes are strong with or without him, before the latter succumbed to his wounds.
More to come...
More to come...
- Preacher was a quaternary antagonist of the War comic books and the tertiary antagonist of War for the Planet of the Apes.
- Preacher was a skilled marksmen, able to accurately fire a modernized crossbow, used to silently kill apes. He used this skill in the battle of Muir Park, to silently kill an ape armed with a machine gun, so his team could destroy the trench without immediate resistance.
- In a recent interview for the trailer breakdown, director Matt Reeves said at some point of the movie, Caesar will show mercy to Preacher.
- Preacher is one of the few human soldiers captured by the apes after the end of the Muir Woods battle.
- Preacher is inadvertently the cause of Caesar's death; despite this, killing Caesar was ultimately in vain, as Caesar assures Maurice that the apes are strong with or without him, before the latter succumbing to his wounds.
- War for the Planet of the Apes (novelization)
- War for the Planet of the Apes (BOOM! Studios)