Dr. Maximus was a senior member of the orangutan government of Ape City, as "Commissioner for Animal Affairs", and a close ally of Dr. Zaius. He formed part of the investigating committee into Taylor, together with Zaius and the President of the Assembly.
Although a friend of Dr. Zaius since their childhood, he had earlier formed an alliance with General Ursus and proposed an 'Ape City Security and Defence Declaration' to give Ursus overall control of security, but this was rejected by the High Council.
- A "Preliminary Production Information Guide" from 7 June 1967 contained a synopsis (also reprinted in the final Production Information Guide from 29 January 1968) which named Woodrow Parfrey's character as "Dr. Octavius".It is unclear if this was a simple error or if it referred to an earlier name for the character.
- Woodrow Parfrey also played Prefect Veska, Galen's cousin, in the opening episode of the Apes TV series.
- Beneath the Planet of the Apes
- Beneath the Planet of the Apes (Power Records) (Power Records)
- Planet of the Apes Magazine: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
- Adventures on the Planet of the Apes: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
- Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes