|Continuity||Rise of the Planet of the Apes|
|First Appearance||Rise of the Planet of the Apes|
|Last Appearance||Rise of the Planet of the Apes|
Buck was an extremely powerful gorilla housed in a specially-built cage at the San Bruno Primate Shelter. He was notable for being the only ape to never be harassed by Dodge Landon. He was bad tempered, strong and brave, and was seen trying to get out and banging his cage. He was freed by Caesar and at first refused to go out, but after a few seconds Buck quickly dashed through the play area and begin playing with the toys the other apes played with. He respected Caesar and became his friend and his "muscle", even helping Caesar to make Rocket respect him.
After the ape uprising at the facility, Buck was ordered by Caesar, with a group of chimps, to free the apes held at the San Francisco Zoo. In the climactic battle on the Golden Gate Bridge, Buck set his target on a nearby policeman on horseback. He ran up under the horse, lifting it up. This caused the officer to fall off. Buck approached the policeman and prepared to kill him, but Caeser stopped him. He later led some other gorillas in a charge to push an overturned bus along the bridge, to shield them against police bullets. He also helped throw off a policeman who drove his car in reverse to the sideline of the bridge into the ocean from shooting off the apes with his pistol. As Caesar was about to get shot down by Steven Jacobs and a sharpshooter in a helicopter, Buck sacrificed his life to take down the helicopter, which crashed onto the bridge, killing the occupants, but got repeatedly shot in the process. Caesar was saddened to lose his friend and his death was avenged by letting Koba finish off Jacobs.
Rise of the Planet of the ApeEdit
Making a friendEdit
Not much is known about Buck only that he was inmate at the San Bruno Primate Shelter along with Maurice, Rocker,Cornelia and Caesar. He was noted to be the only ape never to be harassed by Dodge Landon and was always kept in his cage isolated from the other apes and never once being allowed out causing him to feel lonely. He is first seen trying to break out banging on the doors non stop his actions caught the attention of an observing Caesar who took an interest in the gorilla. At night, caesar who learned how to pick locks escaped his cage and opened a sleeping Buck's cage caesar woke him up by touching the gorilla's back abruptly causing buck to scream at him and prepare to attack . However, buck soon realized his cage was opened and though hesitant to walk out he quickly dashed out the cage rolling in the straw in the den, playing with the toys the other apes played with over the years. Truly happy to be free he thanked the smiling caesar and grew to respect him. Caesar then lured Rocket to the den and with buck's help he overthrew rocket as the alpha an took up the mantle of alpha of the shelter. Buck is later seen eating a cookie and howling with other apes after caesar chose to stay at the shelter instead of leaving with Will Rodman. At night, Caesar would expose the apes to the ALZ-113 drug which would increase their intelligence there is no doubt he exposed buck as the gorilla was shown to have green eyes the next morning. When caesar rebelled against Dodge and spoke in english buck was utterly shocked and speechless along with the other apes present as caesar continued talking.
Caesar would then free all the other apes including buck and the apes would leave the shelter and head for the city. Arriving at the outskirts of the city caesar divided his force into two Rocket and Buck head to the San Francisco Zoo while caesar's group head for Gen Sys Labs. Once at the zoo buck terrorizes the area freeing more of his ape brethern. Buck's actions at the zoo not only liberated more apes to his people' cause but had gave his people another contribution as when knocking down a cage the apes use the bars as spears in their fight against the humans.
After gaining more apes Buck led his people out of the area until they met up with Caesar's group who had just freed more evolved apes making a full army that number's were in hundreds. With this Buck had became Caesar's fourth in command and the leader of the gorilla's in the army. Later he and Maurice are in the city until they spot two police cars heading towards them while Maurice threw a sewer lid at one buck had rip a parking meter out of the ground and threw it at the other stopping both cars in their place. The two would then meet up with the others and join up with Caesar and Rocket on a trolley heading for the Golden Gate Bridge: the army's next target.
Battle At Golden Gate BridgeEdit
Once at the bridge the apes scared off the people who were caught in traffic and began making their way to the center of the bridge. The people seeing nothing but wild animals causing a ruckus had the police arrive at the bridge to form a blockade in hopes of wiping out the apes before they caused more trouble. However, Caesar had anticipated this strategy and ordered his people to halt noticing the police riding on horses who were attempting to lure the apes to the shooters on the other side. Caesar then ordered new recruit Koba to lead the chimpanzees on the bridge high wire using the fog as cover while maurice leads the orangutans and some of the chimpanzees from the bottom of the bridge. Afterwards caesar led his army to the center of the bridge as the police riders attacked them but caesar knocked one down and had buck join him. Buck then attacked a rider and while taking many blows from baton he threw the rider to ground and was about to kill him however, casear told him "No!". With that buck growled at the human's face before throwing him to the ground and meeting up with the others. Caesar put his plans into action by having the gorilla's use their strength to push a large bus in to the center of the bridge which turn to be effective as the police had begun to shoot and the bus held them off. Caesar riding on a horse emerged from the fog and had the apes attack the officers resulting in a serious battle with the apes catching the humans off-guard with their brute strength and intelligence. The battle ended when a police van with apes on top of it nearly stumbled off the bridge and buck busting through it's back door and throwing the officer off the bridge to his death. The remaining officers then fled the bridge as the ape army began to celebrate over their amazing victory over humanity. However, this quickly subside as a police helicopter rose up and began shooting the army causing the apes to suffer serious casualties and injuries. On board the chopper was Steven Jacobs, Director of Gen Sys Labs had the police target caesar seeing him as the ape leader this forced him head for cover in a police van where he took a chain and threw it at the shooter and jacobs knocking them both down. But this caused the other shooter to go into action and put the alpha in danger. Luckily, buck who witnessed this pushed caesar out of the way and leaped at the helicopter while taking countless bullets to the chest but nevertheless making it on board where he attack the shooter and pilot cauing the chopper to spiral out of control and head for the bridge where a series of explosions occurred.
Caesar quickly ran to the downed helicopter and pulled a critically injured Buck out of the wreckage. Buck slowly dying and with only a few seconds to live thanks Caesar for his friendship and passes on in the arms of a true friend. Caesar close Buck's eyes and gently laid his body down and started to grieve over the lost of his very dear friend as this was happening Caesar heard a voice cry out for help. Walking to the wrecked helicopter Caesar discovered a still alive but wounded Jacobs barely hanging over the ledge of the nearly off the bridge chopper. Jacobs begged Caesar for help and at first he was considering to but his hatred of humans like Jacobs and the loss of his friend told him not to so he pulled his hand back and nodded at Koba to do what he wanted with the human. Koba knocked the helicopter off the bridge with his foot and sent a screaming Jacobs hurtling to his death thereby avenging Buck's heroic death.
In the ten years after Buck's death, another gorilla named Stone has become Buck's successor; the new leader of the gorillas as well as the new fourth-in-command of the Ape Army. Stone is also trusted in guarding of the ape colony's new village and is just as loyal to Caesar Buck was to the ape leader.
Buck, at first, appeared reclusive, antisocial and depressed by his terms of incarceration. He constantly ignored the attempts by the other apes and even Dodge Landon to socialise with him. He also shows reluctance to break free when Caesar confronts him, but then bursts into the enclosure. He is enigmatic and powerful, and undoubtedly became a magnificent ally to Caesar.
He is then shown to have a terrifying bad temper, and appears to have a limit of self-control. He was the only known ape in Caesar's colony that risked everything for his Alpha.
He was terrifyingly brave and incredibly selfless. This was shown when, at the climax of the Battle of the Golden Gate Bridge when Caesar was attacked by a helicopter, commandeered by Steven Jacobs, and Buck broke through the firing line, smashing through the helicopter, killing all but one of the passengers and, in the process, killing himself. Buck's courage showed that he had very much grown to care for and admire Caesar, despite not knowing him that well.
His death was the primary subject of Caesar's vengeance.
- Animal Strength: Like all gorillas Buck was extremely powerful and strong. He was so strong that Rocket, the former alpha of the shelter chose to give in to Caesar's demand of being alpha lest buck would no doubt attack him. Buck was amongst the advanced guard that Maurice set up around Caesar and displayed frightening strength during the Ape Rebellion, and at the climax the battle on the Golden Gate Bridge; he smashed through the helicopter, killing all but one of the passengers.
- Animal Speed: Despite his size Buck was much faster than he appeared to be. After Caesar unlock his cage, Buck bursts into the enclosure with formidable speed, at the climax the battle on the Golden Gate Bridge; when Caesar was attacked by a helicopter, commandeered by Steven Jacobs, and Buck broke through the firing line, moving with unbelievable speed.
- Skilled Combatant: Buck was a skilled combatant. During the Battle on the Golden Gate Bridge, Buck was able to go head-on with a police officer, who was riding a horse despite the fact that the police officer repeatedly hit him in the face with a baton, he most definitely would have killed the police officer, if Caesar had not told Buck to let him live.
- Advanced Intelligence: Due to his eyes being green in one scene it can be said that Caesar may have administered the ALZ-113 drug to Buck (off-screen) which gave the gorilla increased intelligence. Even before he was exposed to the ALZ-113, he had some level of intelligence as shown with his loyalty towards Caesar. After he was exposed to the ALZ-113, Buck became much more intelligent than before, it was unknown how much his advanced intelligence and IQ had increased. During the Battle on the Golden Gate Bridge, Buck was about to kill a police officer, but Caesar told him no (in english), Buck clearly understood what he said and spared the human.
- Speech: Having inhaled the ALZ-113, Buck had gained the ability of speech. At the climax the battle on the Golden Gate Bridge; after Buck sacrifice himself to save Caesar from a helicopter, commandeered by Steven Jacobs, in his final moments it appeared that he was trying to say thank you to Caesar.
CaesarEditCaesar was Buck's good friend. When Caesar freed him from his cage, though hesitant, he was thankful to be free of his cage prison. Buck is the first ape to acknowledge Caesar as Alpha and helps him overthrow the brutish Rocket. As time goes on, the two apes become close and Caesar chooses Buck to serve as the "muscle" of the ape army during the battle of the Golden Gate Bridge as well as becoming his fourth-in-command. When Caesar is being shot at, Buck jumps in, taking the bullets for him before leaping at the Helicopter, bringing it crashing down onto the bridge. This final act of courage from Buck saddened Caesar when his friend died in front of him. Caesar now on the verge of revenge, has Koba push the mangled mess of a helicopter with a protesting Jacobs inside down over the bridge to avenge Buck's heroic death.
RocketEditRocket was Buck's fellow inmate. Despite not having a lot of interaction, Buck had a opinion about Rocket. Like Maurice, Buck saw Rocket as brutish and as a bully, having seen what he was doing to Caesar. When Caesar lured Rocket out of his cage and into the play area, Rocket suddenly felt afraid as Buck was likely to beat him up if he didn't step down as Alpha. When the apes escaped from San Bruno and ended up on the streets of San Franscisco, Rocket and Buck joined Maurice and Caesar on the top of a cable car that going along the road showing that he was now loyal to Caesar, thanks to Buck.
- Buck was named in tribute to Buck Kartalian, who played gorilla characters in both Planet of the Apes and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, and who remains very active at Apes fan conventions to this day.
- An earlier version of the script has Buck survive the battle at Golden Gate Bridge, throwing Dodge off the bridge to his death after Dodge has killed Rocket.
- In his final moments he appears to say something along the lines of "Thank you" to Caesar.
- In Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, he does not appear as he died in the previous movie but he will be replaced by Stone.
- If Buck had not died in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, he most definitely would have become an important figure in Caesar's Ape Colony, as well as became a member of the Ape Council.
- Buck is the only known gorilla to have been given ALZ-113 as all the other gorilla's in the ape colony were not given this drug.
More to Come...