Unusually, Barlow appeared in more than one episode of the TV series. When the fugitives first met him, he had been Prefect of Kaymak for 25 years, and had introduced gladiatorial fights between the humans of the village to channel their aggressive impulses. He learned an important lesson from the fugitives and ended the games. Later, he was transferred to Venta, possibly as a result of the death of Jason, but was allowed to return to Kaymak after the fugitives helped him win a horse race against Urko.
- Barlow was named 'Irnar' in the novelisation of The Gladiators.
- The script for The Gladiators named the town as 'Seelah', and the name 'Cela' was used in the novelisation. 'Kaymak' was used on screen.
- The DVD subtitles for The Horse Race identified the town as 'Venton'.
- Barlow's horse was named 'Woda' in the script and the novelization of The Horse Race.
- Besides Galen, Alan Virdon, Pete Burke, General Urko and Councillor Zaius, Barlow is the only character to appear in more than one episode of the television series.